The technology used for solving medical issues and providing assistance to patients with the help of digital information, telecommunication, and software is known as telehealth.
Under, telehealth various branches are there such as telepsychiatry, teledermatology, etc. Providing mental assistance and guidance using telecommunication and telehealth services is termed telepsychiatry. Telepsychiatry services can include family therapy, group therapy sessions, medication management, psychiatric diagnosis, and psychological evaluations. Telepsychiatry is highly effective in terms of accuracy of diagnosis, quality of treatment, and client confidentiality.
Benefits Of Telepsychiatry
- Audio-video-based forms of tele communicational technology provides mental assistance and guidance and is increasingly acceptable and reliable. Telepsychiatry has been an incredible boon to the world post-covid-19 outbreak. It has successfully supplied mental health treatment to various patients and helped them fight against severe stress, anxiety, panic attacks, and depression during the lockdown.
- Studies have shown that people are more comfortable and relaxed with telecommunication to seek mental assistance. Individuals feel more comfortable and pleasant at their homes and hence find it easy to open up.
- Telepsychiatry has enabled access to mental health care in rural and isolated areas. It’s quite inexpensive for people to consult a psychiatrist via telehealth services. Furthermore, integration of behavioral health care and primary care has helped patients explicitly.
- Patients find it easy to schedule appointments which help in reducing the delays in providing mental health care. Telepsychiatry has been an incredible way to reduce the barrier of stigma.
- Telepsychiatry is a convincing option to provide mental health support to clients of all age groups such as children, adolescents, adults, and older people. Furthermore, it provides assistance and support for anxiety, schizophrenia, substance abuse, and eating disorders.
- The requirement of social distancing and lockdown measures have enabled the use of telepsychiatry incredibly.
How Telepsychiatry Works?
An individual who is willing to consult mental health support contacts a hospital or clinic through online platforms and schedules the appointment. Psychiatrist and patient meet through virtual software over a video conference. In telepsychiatry, a psychiatrist creates a treatment layout, schedules follow-up appointments, and prescribes medications if necessary. It is a convenient and accessible mode to ensure proper mental health assistance and support. Telepsychiatry is less expensive in comparisonto direct in-person hospital visits.
According to American Psychiatric Association, telepsychiatry provides high-quality medical service that satisfies the clients and health care providers. Online healthcare has proved to be extremely beneficial for reducing discrimination and barriers associated with mental health issues and treatment. Telehealth enables stronger recording of data in a single secured place in the form of electronic health records (EHR). It includes information such as medical history, demographics, immunization records, medical test results, and personal information about patients. Through electronic means, psychiatrists provide e-prescriptions to patients.
Telepsychiatry during the pandemic
Telepsychiatry is very helpful during the pandemic. The coronavirus is increasing rapidly across the world, so the American Psychiatric Association committee compiled the resources for psychiatrists. The claims not only cover the physical impact of Covid-19 but also shows its potentials in mental health and psychological disorders and responses. The resources also cover a section on telepsychiatry, to prepare for the possibility of isolation or home quarantine. The use of telehealth programs has become an important tool for treating the patients dealing with psychological disorders during covid-19. The American psychiatry association focuses on how to refine the use of telehealth to better serve your patients and highlights the efforts at the federal and state levels to continue telehealth flexibilities. The use of telehealth programs has become an important tool for treating the patients dealing with psychological disorders during covid-19.
Insurance plans for telepsychiatry
According to American Psychiatric Association, insurance plans cover telepsychiatry services in the majority of states. Telepsychiatry coverages vary from state to state. Many states tend to focus on providing the same coverage as that spent during in-person hospital visits. In some states, it is required for the patients to visit the psychiatrist or clinical professional, in-person before choosing online mental health care. Mainly, the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) of 2008 in the United Nations govern the insurance coverages in telepsychiatry. Many public and private health insurance plans provide substantial support to telehealth. Telemedicine laws no longer limit to in-person examinations and prescription requirements.
Subcategories Of Telepsychiatry
Home-based telepsychiatry involves providing treatment to patients situated in their homes or other private settings through telecommunication. Individuals feel more comfortable at their homes and hence find it easy to open up to the psychiatrists about their mental challenges. It is a cost-effective method to enable mental health support with proper satisfaction.
Handling severe mental health cases such as suicidal thoughts, schizophrenia, violence, homicidal thoughts, and severe depression comes under on-demand telepsychiatry. Telepsychiatry services are amiable in various areas such as primary care centers, prisons, schools, colleges, and nursing homes.
Telepsychiatry enables psychiatrists to schedule a small group of people and providers to provide the best and accurate treatment. It has permitted mental health care access to isolated, rural, and far-away areas.
Providing mental health assistance and psychiatrist consultation to prison or correctional facilities comes under forensic telepsychiatry. It helps in reducing the cost of expenditure and increasing patient encouragement.
Telepsychiatry involves providing mental assistance and guidance using telecommunication and telehealth services. Home-based telepsychiatry, forensic telepsychiatry, scheduled telepsychiatry, and on-demand telepsychiatry are the four sub-categories of telepsychiatry. Family therapy, group therapy sessions, medication management, psychiatric diagnosis, and psychological evaluations are involved in online mental health care. It helps to provide assistance and support for anxiety, schizophrenia, substance abuse, eating disorders, and other mental issues. Furthermore, it is a cost-effective method to enable mental health support with proper satisfaction. Therefore, even mental health claims help people to get themselves treated without them thinking if it would be costly. This is another reason why people often do not get themselves treated for mental health as it is expensive.